
So my friend Shannan and I have decided to train for a 5K next April. I know what your thinking........next April? How pathetic......6 months to train to run 3 miles?? Well I need it! I've never been a runner, but I am determined to change that.
Shannan actually hasn't started training yet- she's 8 1/2 months pregnant. But as soon as the doctor gives her the ok she'll start training too. I decided to start now because I'll need as much time as I can get! :)
I remember my 4th grade teacher- Mrs. Allen. She was big into running, so our class ran laps every day. Towards the end of the school year, our class ran the Run For Life (a 10K). Even way back in 4th grade I was not a runner. I loved dancing, but not running. The run ended at Highland High School and all I remember is painful shin splints and crossing the finish line dead last, after they had cleaned up and almost everyone had gone home, and my mom and brother were the only ones there- waiting for me. I look back and laugh now, but that is how it's always been for me and running.
So Shannan referred me to a website that has a "Couch Potato to 5K" running plan on it and today was my first day. It starts with a 20 minute workout alternating 60 seconds running, 90 seconds jogging (plus 5 minutes to warm up and 5 minutes to cool down). The plan says to only run 3 days a week and let your body recover in between days. When I was reading it earlier today I thought to myself "20 minutes? That's easy- I can do that every day." After running tonight though, I think I'll take their advice and give my body a day to rest in between workouts :) I wouldn't say it killed me, but I was definitely ready to be done running by the end of the 20 minutes. I can walk forever, but 60 seconds of running can feel like an eternity!
So Wednesday is my next day. We'll see how it goes. I'm excited for the challenge and excited to get in shape!



5 comments:
Good luck to you and your training. I wish I will be able to start exercising, too! I know I need it.
Welcome to the world of blogging! I miss you :(
It's so refreashing to hear you say that 20 min was hard. I hate running too, but am always embarrassed to say how hard it is. I'm sure it would get easier the more weight I lost. Good luck on your goal.
I'm proud of you for trying!! I wish I could be right there with you in the training. For me, my workout is getting up to go to the bathroom. :) But soon enough, I guess!
I so want to train with you guys :)
Post a Comment